Thursday, December 9, 2010

A Christmas Carol 12/08/10

Tonight was an awesome performance! Wow what a show, we were all on our A game tonight! It was great to see so many smiling faces come out of the theatre. This is why I love theatre so much, you really get to see what kind of impact you made, we made magic happen tonight! Just to see what kind of difference you got to be a part of in changing peoples lives and perspectives...it's indescribable.

Chucky Dicky, thank you kind sir wherever you may be. May you rest comfortably knowing you made this possible. I am honored to hopefully do it justice. It's funny to say this, but I really am glad that I wear the black knitted gloves I wear for The Undertaker. I'd be lying if I said I didn't dab my eyes with them during the second act, but especially tonight. I'm so honored to be performing with such an amazing load of talent that we can make people forget for just a couple of hours that we're actors, and that we are really those people.

I was feeling the Spirit of Christmas tonight. How about you? If not, you really ought to find out. I hear that there are already performances that are sold out, like lots of them! Today, in fact, my boss asked me to come into her office with her and her husband (he works there in another department) to show her the best seats to buy when they come. They were on the last row of the theatre. It's pretty awesome really.

What's great about doing this many shows in such a short period of time, is you get to give it something new each night, even if it's just something really tiny that gives a bit more reality to the character, something that pulls just one more person in the audience into believing in who you are portraying. Ray Bradbury said once, "You've got to jump off cliffs all the time, and build your wings on the way down." As an actor and for this role in particular, I feel like I really do that from the moment I burst through the fireplace, and Jacob Marley is face-to-face with Ebenezer Scrooge.

1 comment:

RachelWriting said...

I absolutely loved it! I thought it was amazing, it put me in the holiday spirit and I thought you were the very best Jacob Marley I've ever seen!