Thursday, June 17, 2010

So long Porthos...You will always be with me.

Sorry it's been a while since my last post. Thank you to everyone who has been bugging me when my next post is going to be. This one's for you. A little taste of my last days of playing a role of a lifetime, and what is coming up next for this crazy life that I am so grateful for.
So long Porthos. Amazing to think that he was a real person in the 17th Century in Paris, France. He was really there at a time when he had King Louie (who was not raised by his parents to rule mind you) and Queen Anne of Austria (her father is the King of Austria for those not in the know of 17th century French History) as a ruler and employer. Porthos was basically a hired bodyguard/secret service agent that he would be willing to die for them to save their lives. What a crazy job! No wonder he used his all of his money on his wardrobe. He really lived it up and always felt that he was larger than life. I think I gave that to the Bacchus like fellow Porthos while on stage. I hope I served him well and may his memory live on in the books by Alexander Dumas. I feel like I really had a chance to be an actual Musketeer and what it would have been like to be friends with these two incredible fighters, men who would find a way to win at any cost despite their different personalities, and who made each other that much stronger/wiser/smarter/braver than if they were to do it on their own. I owe a lot to my fellow cast-mates/Musketeers ( I know, that's a lot of slashes, but here I go on the parentheticals, so better to let that go, I'm almost done with those) who went into the fray with me each night. Them and everyone else who was in my incredible cast. Mainly though I have to say thanks to Jeff Dickamore/Aramis for really bringing it each and every night. Even though we had to tell you to get it together from time to time, you were the coolest cat I've ever had the pleasure of being backstage with. Thank you my friend, I couldn't have done this thing justice without you. I am looking forward to your future successes that I know you will have.
Equal thanks to Michael Hohl/Athos for really being our leader on and off the stage. I loved going into battle with you on that stage. An incredible experience, as you said, "We're freakin' MUSKETEERS!!!" I don't think I would have enjoyed being present in every moment without those refreshing words going through my mind. It's hard not to imagine Athos, Porthos and Aramis saying that to each other every time they shared a drink. I almost thought about saying that on our final performance as we were on our way up in our second to last toast. I really felt like we were a solid unit together out there. It was a pleasure serving/acting with you gentlemen. Musketeers for life-don't you forget it guys! All for one and one for all!
I've never had so much fun backstage and onstage in all my years as an actor. I will never forget how special it was to me, I appreciate each and every one of you - yes, even you others in the T-H-S cast. I don't want to get into names, you know who you are Monte/Rochefort. You kick ass my friend. I loved your performance every night. For playing the bad guy, you were probably the nicest guy backstage. Thank you for everything. That's all I'm gonna say about those guys...like Dru Watts/Fache. (OK I'm done with the slashes now. What do you expect from someone who has been practicing with a slashing weapon for the past 8 weeks. Speaking of which...) We really made each other look good out there and keep it safe. Well, as safe as you can be swinging swords about and such. I would have to say that we had some amazing moments in our fights. Including our final two really good ones. What I'll miss the most was when we'd do our bit in fight call. It was really fun when we'd just say all the unscripted stuff. Alright, that's enough of that. I will miss it all. Porthos most of all I have to say to you, wherever you are, so long my friend, it was an honor bringing you back to life, you will always be with me.

I have other photos from this performance. The fight scenes are amazing if you look at them in sequence. If you want me to post them on my flickr account and create a link to them I'll do it, but only on demand.

So after the play ended, my wife breathed a HUGE sigh of relief. I found myself face-to-face with a pile of honey-do's when I suddenly had all this time now that the play was not occupying it. I've had my hands full, but I haven't got them dirty enough. I have some house work to tend to and then I hopefully will have time to build the tree house before Summer is over. I must admit, I have also had to have some time to decompress. I had to let Porthos go and I shaved my mustache. I should have put the hairs in a box or something, but cest la vie. I had to acclimate with my two boys and my beautiful wife. I've had to get out and play at the park and show my youngest that Daddy is done being a Musketeer. I've been doing some book reading with Dante before he heads to California for the Summer Break. I also had to line my personal projects up and really decide what it is that I need to be doing with my life. I also have had the time to study up on what is going on in our country. I've been out of the loop for a bit with politics. Porthos wasn't good with political issues either, but I decided I'd better pop my head out and take a look. I'm really shocked and surprised, and I will talk more about that later.

I am currently past my bed time now, so I'd better wrap this up (for now anyway). I am...whoa. I just got really tired. Alright, I'm done with this post. Closing the computer now. I'll have to hit you with another post soon. Good night all!

1 comment:

The Pastry Mama said...

Porthos was wonderful and dashing and he was fun to have around the house. I think, in some ways, we all shall miss him as well. But, I know that Rachel and the boys are glad to have you present again!

Hmmmmmmmmm.......I see....sawdust in your immediate future.