Thursday, April 22, 2010

Opening Night

After 11 weeks we have put blood, sweat and tears into this production, but I guess we didn't have enough blood until a half hour before curtain. Our Aramis (Jeff Dickamore) is the fight call captain. We were running through our fight call like we're supposed to at 6PM. Somehow or other, a sword went into and through the webbing between his middle and index fingers on his left hand. The producer called his double and got him to a doctors office where he could get it looked at immediately. Opening night hasn't even begun and we're a man down. Thankfully Jeff's double (Paul Cartwright) came in to save the day. I heard he had to break off a hot date in order to cover for us. Bummer man, I hope he gets a redo on his date, because he was a total stud to step in there and do an incredible job. We won't be getting our Aramis back until probably Wednesday.

So after I shook that off, I got prepared to perform in front of a sold out theater of 600 people. Quite a rush. Especially when you consider that this is the first time I've been on a stage in front of a live audience in over 5 years. This is what I've been missing, what I've been wanting back in my life, and now it's happening! I was still nervous, but that was to be expected when I knew that my Uncle, Sister, Mother-in-law, Brother-in-law & his girlfriend were in the audience. Top that all off with my amazing wife being there. This is the first time she's ever seen me perform in a play, so I was pumped up for this one.

I think overall it went really well. The responses I was getting from the patrons after the show were all good. They laughed in places I would have never imagined, and it was awesome! It felt incredible to be on stage again! I feel so at home there. I had a great time playing Porthos. I did have one small issue with my costume and I totally forgot to place one of my props before the show started. That was an interesting situation let me tell you...
Near the end of the show, we have an inauguration ceremony to make d'Artagnan a Musketeer. I am supposed to walk off stage in rhythm with the music, walk back to the prop table, grab the hat we put on him, walk back on stage in rhythm and hand it to the Queen. As soon as I got past the curtains, I walked quickly to the prop table and there was no hat! I had to run all the way down the hall to the dressing room, grab a hat off the rack, and run all the way back behind the curtain and then walk on in rhythm with the music. I made it back just barely in time, but I was breathing really hard all through the rest of that scene because of that. I won't let that happen again, I promise you!

I heard there was a technical issue with one scene as well, but I was too busy getting into costume to witness it. Really other than that, I think the show went great. If I had to give it a grade, I'd say overall it was a B+. We definitely have room for improvement, but it was certainly entertaining! Can't wait to do it again on Friday.

Get well Jeff! Can't wait to do this show with you my friend!

No comments: